Before you can really understand what’s not working with your social media strategy, ask yourself:
Do I 𝙝𝙖𝙫𝙚 a strategy?
Do I do the basics- consistently?
Check on how your marketing basics are doing before you buy another course, sign up for another webinar or dive head first into a new shiny tactic. You have to make sure you have the basics in order first before you can gauge how you’re doing.
No advanced strategy omits the basics.
In fact, advanced strategies take for granted that you have the basics nailed.
So, what are the basics?
Get visible | Grow your list | Sell something
How you do that will look different from how I do it and how the business owner down the street does it. That’s because it depends on your current goals and your strengths and weaknesses.
Is your goal (for now!): lead generation? Brand building? Adding to your team? Building your list? Getting more speaking gigs? Selling your book?
Are your strengths: going live and talking off the cuff? Writing long form content? Building relationships? Promoting others? Creating helpful videos?
You can see how your special combo of the two categories would require a different strategy, if you were going to realistically be able to fold it into your daily routine.
We’d alllll love to be great at allllll the things but we’re busy business owners. At the end of the day, we need strategies that are lean, effective and can work for our lives/personalities/businesses.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to get back to basics- and stay away from shiny objects- until you’re confident that you’ve nailed the basics.
- Start building your email list.
- Nurture that list consistently (based on what’s realistic for you).
- Pick 3-5 content categories that you can create content about with a passionate voice.
- Pick your social media channels to get visible on. Pick ones that you will use without friction and that house your best prospects.
- Post consistently from your 3-5 categories (however often works for you).
Are there a million things you could add to this list? Yes.
Will you add to this list once you’re humming along? Yes.
But with these five steps, you are getting visible regularly, you are building a list of contacts that you own and you are pitching your services and delivering value consistently. That’s never something you will regret doing.
So, are your basics covered?
PS- If you need help going back to the basics, here’s how I can help:
- Book a free consult: here’s a link to my calendar.
- Check out my tools and resources page here.
- Get a complete LinkedIn Guidebook- a personalized strategy, email list building lead magnet, templates, content and profile optimization to turn your profile into a marketing machine: here are the details on the Guidebooks.